GREEN INGREDIENT POLICY
Aveda looks at our products’ environmental impact, and takes the following into consideration when formulating:
- The raw materials for ingredients used in our products
- The impact on the communities and their ecosystems which provide the raw materials
- The processing of raw materials into the ingredients for our products
- The impact of the finished products on people and the environment
Aveda tries to ensure our products will not only benefit our customers through exceptional performance, but will positively impact the people and economies from which the product’s ingredients are sourced. Aveda firmly believes that we will succeed in this effort by striving to use what we call Green Ingredients in our products whenever possible.
“Green Ingredients” are one or more of the following:
- Originate from renewable, sustainable, or organic plant-based sources
- Are naturally-derived, meaning the majority of the ingredient is derived from plant or mineral sources.
- Celebrate ecological and cultural diversity by using a large array of plant-based ingredients from different habitats all over the world
- Provide fair and socially responsible business to the communities supplying these materials
- Provide cultural and economic development of indigenous communities
- Do not negatively impact the ecosystems from which they are sourced
- Are biodegradable
- Involve environmentally friendly production processes
- Are animal friendly (Aveda does not conduct animal testing on its products and actively supports the development of alternative methods to animal testing)
To facilitate the choice of ingredients that meet these standards, Aveda is partnering with EPEA, an environmental research institute located in Germany and led by Michael Braungart, co-author of “Cradle to Cradle*” design principles for products. Aveda is constantly evolving our ingredient sourcing process to meet our policy goals, helping to continually move our business towards our vision. As we evolve, we continually measure our past accomplishments and plan for future improvements.
Aveda green ingredient policy in practice:
- AVEDA has converted 90% of total tonnage of essential oils purchased to certified organic; 89% of raw herbal ingredients are certified organic.
- AVEDA has been phasing out parabens from its existing products and for the past 2 years all new AVEDA products have been formulated without parabens-AVEDA now has more than 350 formulas preserved without parabens
- AVEDA established the Soil to Bottle™ traceability system, which allows AVEDA to progressively document and expand the source of its ingredients while promoting quality through its supply chain
- AVEDA established programs to promote sourcing GMO-free ingredients
- AVEDA is partnering with the EPEA Institute for ongoing evaluation of raw materials in AVEDA products by application of “Cradle to Cradle*” design principles; to date EPEA has reviewed over 600 ingredients for Aveda
- AVEDA is phasing out EDTA and replacing it with naturally-derived alternatives
- AVEDA pioneered the use of up to 100% postconsumer recycled content in its packaging and is looking at biodegradable or completely recyclable/reusable packaging for its next phase
- AVEDA will continue to find greener alternatives for certain ingredients in existing products applying EPEA Institute principles
- AVEDA will continue to develop sustainable plantbased alternatives to replace petrochemicals